In 2003, Umpqua Bank, a longtime generous supporter and sponsor of the Festival of Tress, became the festival's "Brilliant Star" sponsor. As a result, the Tree of Hope was introduced and established during the 2003 Festival auction.
Funds raised from the Tree of Hope serve Douglas County families with children who have unmet health care needs. The mission of the fund is to provide financial assistance and outreach to other not-for-profit agencies, service organizations, schools and churches that support programs for relief, intervention, prevention, education and treatment of these children.
If your not-for-profit is interested in applying for funds, please send a detail letter that includes the project, expected outcomes, budget and an agreement to provide a 6-month evaluation of the use, benefits and outcomes derived from the funds.
Some past projects have been
- Distribution of washers and dryers to 36 schools in 2006.
- Replacement of the well-used washers and dryers in 2016.
- Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs) placed in 13 school districts in 2016.
- Blender Bike Science Lab with 3D printer in Douglas County Middle Schools.
- Anti-Bullying campaign at local schools.
- Gardens at elementary schools.
The Tree of Hope Committee
Laurie Cleveland, Co-Chairwoman
Shari Notenboom, Co-Chairwoman
Cheryl Ramberg Ford, Co-Chairwoman
- “I slept and I dreamed that life is all joy. I woke and I saw that life is all service. I served and I saw that all service is joy.” - Kahlil Gibran
- “Everybody wants to save the Earth; nobody wants to help Mom do the dishes.” - P.J. O’Rourke
- “If you were born with the ability to change someone’s perspective or emotions, never waste that gift. It is one of the most powerful gifts God can give — the ability to influence.” - Shannon L. Alde
- “Being innovative in your philanthropy allows you to stride forward in your giving journey; you can marry your mind and heart to turn charity into lasting impact; and you can become more ambitious in your giving.” - Laura Arrillaga-Andreessen
- “Never respect men merely for their riches, but rather for their philanthropy; we do not value the sun for its height, but for its use.” - Gamaliel Bailey
- “ Philanthropy is involved with basic innovations that transform society, not simply maintaining the status quo or filling basic social needs that were formerly the province of the public sector.” - David Rockefeller
- "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill
- “The results of philanthropy are always beyond calculation.” - Mary Ritter Beard
CHI Mercy Health Mercy Foundation 2700 NW Stewart Parkway Roseburg Oregon 97471 541.677.4818
Copyright 2016 Mercy Foundation All Rights Reserved