The Learning Child (TLC) is a Mercy Foundation committee of concerned volunteers who believe every child should begin each school year ready to learn. Not having pencils, paper, and other required items is not only humiliating for these children, but prevents them from participating fully in the learning experience.
Back-to-school time can be a particularly stressful time for families with limited financial resources. School-related needs often stretch an already tight budget. The goal of the TLC program is to make the transition a little easier for thousands of local families and students.
Each year the TLC Committee spearheads "The Learning Child: From Head-to-Toe and Back-to-School" fundraising campaign with assistance and support of community members and local agencies. Each autumn, hundreds of disenfranchised children (grades K-8) are sent to school ready to learn, with backpacks, school supplies, and shoes provided by the TLC Committee.
The Learning Child Committee
Angie Tustin, Chairperson
- “I slept and I dreamed that life is all joy. I woke and I saw that life is all service. I served and I saw that all service is joy.” - Kahlil Gibran
- “Everybody wants to save the Earth; nobody wants to help Mom do the dishes.” - P.J. O’Rourke
- “If you were born with the ability to change someone’s perspective or emotions, never waste that gift. It is one of the most powerful gifts God can give — the ability to influence.” - Shannon L. Alde
- “Being innovative in your philanthropy allows you to stride forward in your giving journey; you can marry your mind and heart to turn charity into lasting impact; and you can become more ambitious in your giving.” - Laura Arrillaga-Andreessen
- “Never respect men merely for their riches, but rather for their philanthropy; we do not value the sun for its height, but for its use.” - Gamaliel Bailey
- “ Philanthropy is involved with basic innovations that transform society, not simply maintaining the status quo or filling basic social needs that were formerly the province of the public sector.” - David Rockefeller
- "We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." - Winston Churchill
- “The results of philanthropy are always beyond calculation.” - Mary Ritter Beard
Copyright 2016 Mercy Foundation All Rights Reserved
CHI Mercy Health Mercy Foundation 2700 NW Stewart Parkway Roseburg Oregon 97471 541.677.4818